So you're browsing the internet and checking your emails, odds are you've seen some pop-ups and had to deal with spam. But how does malware infect your computer? What is the purpose of malware? How do you prevent malware damage? How do you prevent pop-ups and the damage they can cause? And lastly what can be done to improve your overall online security? Read on for these answers.
- Sent as an attachment through an email
- Embedded files to download and open
- Unwanted pop-up ads on your screen
- Hovering over a webpage image or link and getting mouse-over ads
- Within the body of a message
You will be mislead into clicking an attached file or a link within the email which then initiates the download, but sometimes simply opening the message itself starts the download process.
Malware, adware, and spyware attacks use your computer as a form advertising, giving the ownership burden to your system and take a massive toll on internet users time, resources, and the system integrity of your internet service provider (ISP). Email and instant messaging have become increasingly favoured channels for spyware attackers to spread malicious code. Some simple ways you can prevent malware damage:
- Do not open emails or text messages from unknown senders
- Delete the message you suspect is spam
- It is best to avoid get rich quick offers, porn or too good to be true messages
- Never unsubscribe from spam email as this just validates your email address
There are a few things you can do to prevent pop-ups and avoid further spyware infection:
- Close pop-ups from the system tray area with a right mouse click
- Regularly update your operating system
- Increase your browser security settings
- Avoid questionable websites
Have the best security software products installed on your PC:
- Use antivirus protection and a firewall
Follow these simple steps or you welcome unwanted infections to your computer. You wouldnt leave your front door open why not secure your computer too.Use antispyware software and a pop-up blocking application. We recommend products like Webroot Internet Security Plus and Webroot Antivirus that thwart spyware before it can enter your PC, stand guard at every possible entrance of your computer and fend off any spyware that tries to enter, even the most damaging and devious strains.
Credit to https://www.webroot.com